Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Social Networking: Foursquare



Foursquare was founded by Dennis Crowley and Naveen Selvadurai who met in 2007 while working in the same office space at different companies in New York City. Working from Dennis' kitchen table in New York's East Village, they began building the first version of foursquare in the fall 2008. They launched it at South by Southwest Interactive in Austin, Texas in March 2009 (Foursquare, 2013). Libraries can use foursquare to engage their users and fans. Libraries can create an account and add their library as a venue. Once the account is created, useful tips and pictures can be added. Libraries can also add tags such as free wi-fi, popular DVDs, and books. These tags will help people find the library if they search for these tags in the library’s area. As users check in, it becomes a competition among them. They earn badges and receive rewards as they become the Mayor of the library. I am currently in competition with a student to become Mayer of the GSW Library. Some libraries give out rewards such as free food or drinks, reduced fines, or gift cards just to name a few.

Foursquare. (2013). https://foursquare.com/.

2 comments:

  1. I have actually been mayor of my public library system for 2 years running, but I have noticed that no one really check into our facilities. Do you think that Foursquare is more popular in densely urban communities, or does it have more to do with user demographics? For instance the VSU library might have substantially more check-ins than the public library because more college-aged people use Foursquare than the typical public library user (pre-teen & adult)?

    I have thought about implementing library rewards, but the lack of check ins makes me wonder if it is worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my husband was obsessed with Foursquare when it first came out because he thought he would end up getting a bunch of free stuff once he became the "mayor" of his favorite hangouts. That ... didn't happen so much. But now I'm curious to see what I can get by following my local library on Foursquare. Hmmmm... ;)

    ReplyDelete